Finally decommissioned in the 1960s the old Police cells of Brighton were used as a council storage facility. Now the location is open as the Brighton Police Museum and is home to several artefacts relating to the Police force and the cells. Through time there have been a number of reports from inmates, staff, council workers and visitors, with a distinct consistency in their reports. A tall dark shadow figure said to be the ghost of Henry Solomon, Brighton’s first Chief Constable, who was brutally murdered by an inmate wanders the passageways. The figure of a monk has also been seen on the lower levels, this location was built upon a former monastery. The sound of a whispering woman has also been heard by people visiting the cells.
The old police cells in Brighton have been there since 1830.
Henry Solomon was appointed the Chief Constable of Brighton Police in 1838. He was murdered in 1844. Solomon’s death was brutal, unexpected and apparently without motive. The catalyst was the arrest, on 14 March 1844, of petty criminal John Lawrence, who had been spotted attempting to steal a roll of carpet from a shop inSt James’s Street. Lawrence was taken to the police station, where Solomon began to question him. Reports suggest that Lawrence became agitated during this process and that Solomon asked him to sit by the fire for a few moments to gather his thoughts. Lawrence impulsively grabbed a poker from the hearth and struck Solomon over the head with it, causing, according to theBrighton Gazette, ‘a mortal fracture, rupture and wound’. Although there were three other officials in the room at the time, it seems no one was able to restrain him. Solomon was treated by doctors at the scene, before being taken to his home in Prince’s Street, near theRoyal Pavilion. He died the following morning.
Local papers described the incident in graphic detail, including the moment Solomon ‘fell bleeding to the floor’. There was even speculation that he may have survived had he been wearing a top hat.
He remains the only police constable to have been murdered in his own police station. It’s also worth mentioning that the Town Hall also housed the Fire Station and the Magistrates Court along with a live in caretaker who would have lived upstairs. Young children have been heard upstairs.
Below is a list of the Chief Constables of Brighton Police from when it was established to when it moved to John Street and became part of Sussex Police in 1967.
Brighton Police merged with Sussex Police late 1967, and moved to new headquarters in John Street. The Cells were opened to the public in 2005.
On the right is a picture taken by one of our guests on a team cam. The lady sitting down said she thought somebody was sitting next to her. The picture shows a darkened figure shape in the chair next to her. the area would of been pitch black (dark) at the time the illumination is from the camera flash.
The image below was also taken in the same area by a different team on a different night it seems to show somebody standing in the isle
We had a special night at the Old Brighton cells in August 2019 to try out a few new things. while we were there several video cameras were about and here are the highlights of that special night.
On the right is a hi-light video from our event 20th January 2018
On the right is a video from a corporate night we held at the cells for a group of people on a works night out. They had never conducted an automatic writing session before and were quite sceptical about the experiment. you will see as they seem to be in communication with a spirit about music the planchette perhaps draws a treble-clef
Here are some interesting sound anomalies that were captured while doing EVP and video experiments.
The Base Room
Ground floor entrance gallery
A Mans Cell
The Old Records
The Old Corridors