This amazing location is linked to the Norman Conquest and William the Conqueror. With such a past, one can imagine the numerous tales of paranormal activity at the castle! It is also open for visitors during the day, a recommended day out as you will be able to grasp the amazing history of this venue (https://www.tonbridgecastle.org/ ). We first investigated Tonbridge castle in March 2017 with three teams of guests spread over four parts of the castle, including an area closed to the public. The location is a well kept castle with several below ground areas and mannequins as exhibits which in the dark can surely give you a scare! We are looking forward to adding content to this case file when we revisit later in the year.
Team camera videos
Below are the videos captured by our guests in January and October 2020.
Team camera videos
Below are the videos captured by our guests in March 11th 2017.
Spoiler alert! On 29th March 1892, everybody in Tonbridge hated Elizabeth Lewis because she was so selfish. She owned a grocery store in Vale Road and wore a huge hat. She was by far the most expensive grocer in Tonbridge. The only thing that liked her was her collie dog. It always sat under its favourite tree, the old walnut tree. One summer afternoon the dog spotted a very beautiful butterfly and tried to catch it. The collie dog wandered down the road and through the town. Nobody took any notice as the dog went towards the castle.
At the time the castle was under repairs. The dog took no notice and carried on chasing the butterfly into the castle itself. After an hour or so the butterfly hovered over a gaping hole which was very wide and long. The dog made a desperate lunge for the butterfly hoping to catch it and jump over the hole. The result was that the dog missed the butterfly and fell down the hole. The collie dog was stuck.
Elizabeth soon realized that her dog was missing and went off searching for it. She wandered into the town and asked nearly everybody but she couldn’t get a response because people thought that it was her own fault. She ended up at the castle and asked the workman there if they had seen her dog. Again there was no response and so she went into the castle.
She heard her dog whimpering and followed the sound. She eventually found the hole and her dog. Elizabeth searched for a stick and instead made do with a plank. She stretched and actually fell in herself. Nobody heard her screaming and so they carried on with their jobs.
After a few days the collie dog died. Then 3 days later Elizabeth died of starvation. Nobody heard her last words and the workmen had now finished the repairs that they had been doing.wo years later Elizabeth and her collie dog were spotted as ghosts. The one person who spotted them was Charles Payne (the boat maker). He went around the town telling everyone in site that he had seen Elizabeth and her dog. He recogonised Elizabeth by her big hat that she wore. He followed them to there house and the last he or anyone saw was the collie dog sitting under its favourite tree and Elizabeth Lewis drinking tea or so they say. Information from TEON.org
The Great Hall Area
The Chambers Area
The Cellar Area
The Tunnel Area
Tonbridge’s first castle was a simple fort of earth and timber, thrown up – like hundreds of others – by Norman invaders for self-protection soon after they arrived in 1066. It stood on land overlooking the Medway crossing which William the Conqueror had given to his kinsman Richard Fitzgilbert. Local labour would have been used to shift the 30,000 tonnes of earth required to form the moat and the motte – the ’castle mound’ which still survives. A wooden keep would have been built on top of the motte, with an adjacent area, the bailey (now the Castle Lawn) protected by a fence of stakes.
The wooden castle probably only survived about twenty years. Descendants of Richard Fitzgilbert gradually replaced the earth and timber structure with stone, repairing the effects of decay, fire and warfare and reinforcing their stronghold against improved methods of attack. Their final castle had a noble gatehouse and was encircled by massive curtain walls connecting great towers at each corner, while a high shell keep crowned the motte. In places the castle walls were almost three metres thick, with sandstone facings from nearby quarries. Kings fought and were entertained at Tonbridge Castle, archbishops quarrelled over its guardianship, and Henry III’s niece and Edward I’s daughter were both mistresses of the castle. In Henry VIII’s reign the gatehouse was deemed to be “as strong a fortress as few be in England”.
In the Civil War the Castle was strengthened and garrisoned. Thomas Weller, who owned it at that time, was a Parliamentarian. He joined other West Kent gentlemen in opposing local unrest at Sevenoaks in 1643, and there was a three-hour skirmish on the outskirts of Tonbridge at Hilden Brook. The river crossing was fought over but not, it seems, the castle itself – though the Roundhead garrison wreaked havoc in the grounds. Later Weller was ordered to put the castle beyond military use by dismantling its defences.
In the 20th century the Castle became a place of recreation for Tonbridge people. A later owner, John Hooker, sold stone from the castle to build locks on the River Medway, and in 1791 his son Thomas took more stone from the ruined walls to build the residence that now adjoins the Gatehouse. What was left of the once-proud fortress became in turn a private home, a military academy and a prep school until in 1899 it was purchased by the Town Council. The residence became the Council Chamber and offices, and the grounds were opened to the public.
Nearly 900 years from its first construction, Tonbridge Castle saw military service once more, as part of a defensive line against possible German invasion in World War 2. Anti-tank defences and a machine-gun emplacement were constructed, and two pillboxes built into the 13th century walls.
Information from Tonbridge History.org